Phishing, also called spoofing, is the act of attempting to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy person or business with a real need for such information in a seemingly official electronic notification or message. The e-mail directs the user to visit a website where they are asked to update personal information, such as passwords and credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that the legitimate organisation already has.
Bank of Baroda requests you to read and implement the following instructions to protect yourself from Phishing.
- Never respond to emails that request personal information
At Bank of Baroda, we would never ask for your personal details over email/phone. Nor would we ask for your password through any means, online or offline.
- Always check the URL and the Security Certificate.
BarodaConnect eBanking services are hosted on a secured site: www.bobibanking.com only. While clicking on the login button, do not forget to check the URL on the address bar. Also, at any point, you can assure yourself of security by cross-checking the security certificate. This can be viewed by clicking on the lock icon at the bottom of the status bar.
- Avoid using cyber cafes to access your online accounts as they may be infested with viruses, trojans or spyware which might track your activity or worse, compromise your security.
- Keep your computer secure by installing and continuously updating anti-virus software(s).
- Keep your passwords top secret and change them often.
Please do not disclose your User ID and/or passwords to any person – not even bank staff – either intentionally or otherwise. Change your passwords periodically.
How does BarodaConnect eBanking protect you from Phishing?
Banks, on their part, use 128-bit secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology certified by Verisign to https://www.bobibanking.com, to encrypt the information you send online. This ensures that the information exchanged between your computer and the bank's website is completely protected and all details such as login and password remain secret. Another safety feature is the timed logout, which means the session is automatically terminated if it is not active for a certain period.
BRIEF ABOUT YOUR Password:
As reported, you will receive two passwords i.e. log in and transaction password. You will have to compulsorily change the password when you log in for the first time. While changing the password and while subsequently using it, please note that:
- It must be a minimum of 8 digits long and maximum 16 digits long
- It must contain an alphabet (A-Z or a-z) and a number (0-9) and a special character (@,$,#,* etc.), all the three
- It should not contain all the letters used in your user ID
- It is case sensitive i.e. if password is in small letters use the same. If you use capital letters, it will not work
- For your safety, your password will be blocked if an attempt to log in fails 5 times. (If your password is blocked (i.e., you perfectly remember your password, but while keying in, you keyed in wrongly 5 times, and it got locked) please submit the form to the branch for enabling the password. Your password will be enabled, and you will be able to access BarodaConnect, using the same password).
- While changing the password subsequently, you cannot use any of your last 5 passwords
- If not changed in 90 days, system will force you to change the password. However, we advise you to keep changing the passwords, at a regular interval
- If you have forgotten your user ID/ password, please submit forgot password form (attached in the instant guide) to the branch. Bank will generate a new password, send you the same in mailer (the way in which you got your first password) and you will be forced to change the password on your log in
SECURITY OF YOUR PASSWORD:
Please note that your password(s) are of utmost importance in Internet Banking. It is the only way to identify you, by the system. Therefore, its security is very crucial, and we advise you as under:
- Please do not write these passwords anywhere
- If you feel someone knows any of your passwords (i.e. it is compromised), please change the password immediately
- You should change the passwords at a regular interval (you will be forced to change the password by the system, if you do not do so after 90 days)
- Do not share your username and password(s) with anybody, including bank staff. (The bank does not require your user ID or password at any point of time. So, if you receive any communication asking for this information, please do not send your user id or password(s)
- Do not use the name of your spouse, children etc. as a password since they are extremely easy to crack. Further, avoid using important dates (wedding anniversary, birthdays of yourself/ spouse/ children etc.) as your password. relatives' name or date of birth or address in your password
OTHER IMPORTANT SECURITY TIPS:
- Do not leave your computer unattended while you are accessing internet banking services
- Always type full URL i.e., address of the internet banking website. For e.g.: https://www.bobibanking.com or add this website to your favourites. This will avoid the need for typing the URL every time you log in and subsequent risk of scouting. Please ensure that ’https’ is used while logging in’ indicates that this is a secured site. You will always see a lock at the bottom right corner of your computer, indicating sec secured site. If you are not seeing this lock symbol, check if your website address is correct
- Every time you log in, you are shown the time when you logged in last. If you feel that, you did not log in at the time shown, get alerted immediately. Change your passwords, check all the transactions, and ensure that nothing untoward has taken place
- Please ensure that the anti-virus on your PC is updated and thereby the risk of virus attacks can be reduced. However, anti-virus cannot check for spyware. So, avoid downloading unwanted software from unreliable websites
- The recommended browsers are:
- Internet Explorer Version 5.5 and above
- Netscape Navigator Version 7.1 and above
- As and when you have finished using Internet Banking, do not forget to log out completely. Further close the window completely, after you log out. Avoid closing the window abruptly, on usage
- Know your software. Malicious software (e.g., viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and spyware) often masquerades as legitimate and even useful software. Think carefully before installing or running new software, especially anything unsolicited
- Clear the browser cache regularly and clear your browser cache in case of Internet Explorer:
- Go to ‘Tools’
- Go to ‘Internet options’
- Select ‘General’
- Click on ‘Delete Files’ at ‘Temporary Internet files
- To clear your browser cache in case of Netscape Navigator...
- Go to ‘Netscape’ or ‘Edit’
- Go to ‘Preferences’
- Select or double-click on ‘Advanced’
- Select ‘Cache’
- Click on ‘Clear Memory Cache’ and ‘Clear Disk Cache’